If you have lost your pet, it is important to act immediately. Once your pet has been found by another individual and resides at another location for more than 5 days, the pet is deemed owned by that individual. If your pet has been dropped at the Indiana CountyHumane Society, they are permitted to adopt the pet to another family after 48 hours.
- Don’t let your pet become a statistic. Make sure that all of your pets have an appropriate collar, identification tag and license on at all times.
- Here is some helpful information if you have lost your pet:
- Each year, thousands of lost pets find their way to the Indiana County Humane Society. Contact the Humane Society immediately at 724-465-PETS and provide them with a detailed description of your pet. If you have a photo, drop it off at the Humane Society for improved identification. Stop by and visit or check in regularly to inquire about the newly received pets.
- Check the Indiana County Humane Society website regularly, which list the pets awaiting adoption many of whom are lost from their current owners.
- Check the local newspaper regularly. For example, the Indiana Gazette publishes found animals as reported by the Humane Society and concerned citizens.
- Contact the local radio stations who may announce your lost dog.
- Put up neighborhood signs.
- The following actions will increase the likelihood that your pet will be returned to you if lost:
- Purchase a dog license at the County Treasurer’s Office. If your pet is found and the County is contacted, they will provide the owner’s name and address information.
- Keep a tag on your pet that includes information on your name, address, and phone number.
- Consider having your pet tattooed or microchipped.
If you have found a pet it is important to take action immediately. Most importantly, do not keep the pet as the owner is most likely frantically looking for him or her. Do not assume the pet as been dumped. Dogs and cats have been reunited with owners after months of being on the run.
Here is some helpful information if you have found a pet:
- If you can locate a license number, contact the County Treasurer’s Office at 724-465-3845. They will provide you with the name and address of the owner.
- If you can transport the pet, bring it to the Indiana County Humane Society located at 191 Airport Rd (724-465-PETS). Owners often call them to report a lost pet. They will make every effort to reunite the pet and the owner.
- If you cannot transport the pet, contact the State Dog Warden at 724-639-0319 for a pick up.